Well the next tutorial I'm going to post up is based on these sentinel stand ins I built about 3 years ago.
I still have a few to build since then as I only managed to get one squad of three lascannons finished. These little vehicles where named hoplites, (as centaur was already taken.) and they where named by Markey from 40konline after an online poll.
I was originally inspired by this vehicle...
I started by drawing a design idea. It was done very roughly and with my poor drawing abilities, so you will have to bare with me!
From this I was able to determine what shape the flank was going to be. I drew it roughly onto a sheet of plasticard.
I then ruled off the lines to make them even and measured the length and depth, ensuring the shape was balanced and straight. This is a bit of guess work and having a set square and a 360 degree protractor lying about sure is handy.
I then cut this out and rounded it off
This gave me a template, from which I could produce more flanks.
I then traced around the template onto more plasticard. It’s worth noting at this point that when you trace the template the size of the flank is increased by a small margin. Therefore it is always best to file down the template so that it is slightly smaller than you want the finished product to be!
Once I had them traced I cut out two of the flanks.
I then filed them down and used some wet and dry paper to smooth off the edges. I find that the wet and dry leaves a very fine finish on plasticard, and helps smooth joins.
After I had the flanks finished I began to work on the main body. Rather than drawing and cutting out each individual rectangle of plastic I would need to build the driver compartment and main chassis, I instead cut out one long thin strip of plasticard. This was 35 mm in width.
This allowed me to measure the cut by placing the flanks beside the strip of plasticard and measuring each side.
Then I placed a long strip of plastic that filled in the loading bay Like so:
Then I cut a length of plasticard to fit over the front portion of the cab.
I basically kept this bit nice and simple. I took the tripod stand from a heavy weapons sprue
Then I simply added the weapon
First of all I sorted out the weapon guard.
Then I clipped it down with a chamfered off edge, making sure that when it’s in position the weapon can swivel at least 45 degrees.So that it looks something like this
I put on the road wheels (track wheels or whatever you want to call them! ) These where taken from the old chimera/leman russ kits track sprues. I was devastated when they got rid of these. There was no better way to get tracks onto a scratchbuild. Ive got a few sprues left, but not nearly as many as I would like. I will probably be thinking about building and casting my own track units soon.
I used 5 per side and put them on the edges of each corner. I made sure the bottom row hung over the edges more than the top ones, insuring that the vehicle had enough of a clearance.
To get a template made I put black paint on the raised lops of the road wheels, and then pressed it onto a spare scrap of plasticard.
I ruled around this, and carefully rounded off the edges, cut it out and filed it down.
Moving in to complete the hoplite weapons carrier now that all the major body work is done.
Then I sketched out the design I wanted on the flank. I took my inspiration from the chimera and Leman Russ for this as they have little raised teeth with rollers in the middle and so I came up with this design
I then began riveting the tanks flanks.
To do this I rolled out some green stuff in a long thin sausage. I wanted it to be slightly thinner than the cadian vox mast.
I carefully attached them onto the vehicle. I carefully placed them onto my finger, dabbed some glue where I wanted them and then pressed them into place.
I used some spare sentinel legs to gain some of the road wheel rollers.
I cut a long strip of plasticard, sliced it into three equal length strips and added them to the lower front of the carrier.
So just some finishing touches left to do. Some more rivets around the front.
Then I added one of the spotlights from the rhino kit.
A few more rivets and here she is beside her brothers and sisters. They are all in varying degrees of completion, and I plan two more variants, the engineering hoplite and the armoured crew compartment variant hoplite.
I have one more painting tutorial on how to paint 40th Corps (grey and Blue) Vehicles. Hopefully get this up in the next few days!